CER™ REMOVES DISSOLVED ALUMINUM FROM CAUSTIC SODA ETCHANTS USED IN PROCESSING ALUMINUM TO REDUCE CHEMICAL AND WASTE TREATMENT COSTS
Etching or chemical milling with caustic soda can be the greatest operating expense in aluminum finishing operations. And with the increased focus on environmental concerns in all facets of the business, anodizes can look at recycling in their plants to reduce process chemical costs, waste treatment chemical and labor costs, and, in many cases, enhance product quality.
Eco-Tec’s Caustic Etch Recovery System, CER™, continuously crystallizes and removes dissolved aluminum from caustic soda etchants used in processing aluminum, and then returns caustic to the etching/milling tanks for reuse. Eco-Tec’s CER™ significantly increases savings through a reduction in process chemical costs, waste treatment costs, and labor costs.
How It Works:
The Eco-Tec CER™ System takes advantage of the well-established Bayer process for the separation of aluminum from caustic soda. The bath solution is continuously recirculated on a crystallizer tank wherein the conditions are such that automatic precipitation of the aluminum is undertaken and the liberated caustic soda is returned to the bath to be used for further etching or milling of aluminum. The resulting precipitated aluminum, known as aluminum trihydrate crystal material, is periodically removed from the crystallizer tank and dewatered in a filter press. This crystal material does a marketable, salable value.
- A range of standard models are available to conform to a specific size aluminum finishing operation.
- Factory assembled modules and testing in Eco-Tec’s ISO registered facility assures fast start-up and reliable operation.
- Production of salable aluminum trihydrate crystal by-product with opportunity to go to a zero sludge discharge operation.
- Proven, quality, corrosion resistant components and materials selected for long service life in an aluminum processing facility.
- Eco-Tec provides start-up supervision, customer training, and support to assist in performance monitoring and 24 hour telephone service.
- 85% savings in caustic soda purchases; reduced additive costs versus never dump chemistry tremendous reduction in sludge generation.